letterhead

noun
let·​ter·​head | \ ˈle-tər-ˌhed How to pronounce letterhead (audio) \

Definition of letterhead

1 : stationery printed or engraved usually with the name and address of an organization also : a sheet of such stationery
2 : the heading at the top of a letterhead

Examples of letterhead in a Sentence

We changed the design of our letterhead. They sent her a letter printed on company letterhead.
Recent Examples on the Web Formed in May 1976, the Moscow Helsinki Group reported on regime crackdowns and abuses, publishing its reports on official letterhead — rather than in underground pamphlets — and distributing them to journalists and embassies. Washington Post, "Yuri Orlov, physicist who became a symbol of Soviet dissent, dies at 96," 1 Oct. 2020 With a month to go before the election, President Donald Trump’s administration has begun requiring contractors to enclose a letter on White House letterhead, in English and Spanish, signed by Trump. Colin Campbell, baltimoresun.com, "Maryland Food Bank criticizes Trump-signed letter in federal food boxes, but will distribute them anyway," 2 Oct. 2020 She was voted out of the state's House Democratic Caucus in 2018, after sending a letter on Ohio Legislative Black Caucus letterhead without permission. Emma Colton, Washington Examiner, "Democratic state rep throws support behind Trump, citing 'his commitment to ensuring the success of the Black community'," 30 Sep. 2020 The letter, printed in both English and Spanish on White House letterhead, highlights the Farmers to Families Food Box program and includes general safety information for preventing COVID-19 transmission. Alexia Elejalde-ruiz, chicagotribune.com, "‘Political propaganda’ or ‘essential public health messages?’ Government-sponsored food boxes include a letter from Trump, and some Chicago food pantries are removing it," 30 Sep. 2020 Becerra sent it back, copied and pasted onto county letterhead. Vianna Davila, ProPublica, "The COVID-19 Charmer: How a Self-Described Felon Convinced Elected Officials to Try to Help Him Profit From the Pandemic," 25 Sep. 2020 Becerra has not answered questions about the authorization letters, which bears his signature and appear on his letterhead. Vianna Davila, ProPublica, "The COVID-19 Charmer: How a Self-Described Felon Convinced Elected Officials to Try to Help Him Profit From the Pandemic," 25 Sep. 2020 Job postings shared by the Senate Republicans were written on Murphy's campaign letterhead and instructed applicants to e-mail materials to her campaign. Torey Van Oot Star Tribune, Star Tribune, "Senate candidate Erin Murphy's hiring plan sparks GOP complaint," 22 Sep. 2020 Typically, Goldstein would keep 10 percent — then funnel the remaining 90 percent back to the donor, along with a receipt on Chabad letterhead. Greg Moran, San Diego Union-Tribune, "Brother of ex-Poway synagogue leader also pleads guilty in fraud scheme," 14 Sep. 2020

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'letterhead.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of letterhead

1841, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about letterhead

Time Traveler for letterhead

Time Traveler

The first known use of letterhead was in 1841

See more words from the same year

Statistics for letterhead

Last Updated

22 Oct 2020

Cite this Entry

“Letterhead.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/letterhead. Accessed 5 Dec. 2020.

Keep scrolling for more

More Definitions for letterhead

letterhead

noun
How to pronounce letterhead (audio)

English Language Learners Definition of letterhead

: the name and address of an organization (such as a company) that is printed at the top of a piece of paper used for writing official letters also, US : paper that has the name and address of an organization printed at the top

letterhead

noun
let·​ter·​head | \ ˈle-tər-ˌhed How to pronounce letterhead (audio) \

Kids Definition of letterhead

: the name and address of an organization that is printed at the top of a piece of paper used as official stationery

Comments on letterhead

What made you want to look up letterhead? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Musical Words Quiz

  • gramophone
  • Which word describes a musical performance marked by the absence of instrumental accompaniment?
Spell It

Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words?

TAKE THE QUIZ
Citation

Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!