West Nile virus
medical Definition of West Nile virus
- West Nile virus causes unusually severe infections in crows and blue jays, according to one CDC-led study that measured the number of virus particles in the birds' blood …
- —Stephen S. Hall, Smithsonian, July 2003
- Of 5780 cases of arboviral disease reported in 2012, West Nile virus infection accounted of 5674, or 98% of the total, researchers reported in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
- —Rebecca Voelker, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 21 Aug. 2013
- West Nile virus is such a disease. Last week, President Clinton declared an emergency in areas of New Jersey affected by the virus …
- —James Ridgeway, The Village Voice, 14 Nov. 2000
- … residents are being urged to stay indoors while trucks spray insecticides through the streets to ward off outbreaks of West Nile fever, a mosquito-spread disease that last summer sickened dozens and killed seven.
- —Joannie Schrof Fischer et al., U.S. News & World Report, 7 Aug. 2000
Learn More about west nile virus
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up West Nile virus? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).