- "Joy had the like conception in our eyes … "
- —William Shakespeare
:the capacity, function, or process of forming or understanding ideas or abstractions or their symbols
- He directed the project from conception to completion.
:a general idea :concept
- We get the conception of an animal … by comparing different animals …
- —John Stuart Mill
:a complex product of abstract or reflective thinking
- the philosopher's conception of reality
:the sum of a person's ideas and beliefs concerning something
- his conception of the American dream
:the originating of something in the mind
- an artist's conception of how the city would look a hundred years from now