:a wrong or inaccurate idea or conception
- a common/popular misconception
- There's this misconception that you get famous and everything is perfect.
- —Chris Daughtry
- The new name, along with more stringent criteria for diagnosing the disorder, represents an attempt to clear up misconceptions about the disorder and to have it taken more seriously by psychiatrists as well as the courts.
- —Janny Scott
- Many gardeners are under the misconception [=have the mistaken idea] that bamboos grow only in mild climates.
- —Nan Sterman
- … artists, writers, and musicians who labor under the misconception that it's possible to come up with something new under the sun …
- —Simon Reynolds