Synonyms and Antonyms of grief
- Even the gruff grandfather felt a heartbreaking grief when the family dog died.
blues, dejection, depression, desolateness, desolation, despair, despondency, disconsolateness, dispiritedness, distress, doldrums, downheartedness, dreariness, dumps, forlornness, gloom, gloominess, glumness, heartsickness, joylessness, melancholy, miserableness, misery, mopes, oppression, sorrowfulness, unhappiness, woefulness, wretchedness
- Trying to fix the computer isn't worth the grief.
Synonym Discussion of grief
- a family united in sorrow upon the patriarch's death
- the inexpressible grief of the bereaved parents
- the anguish felt by the parents of the kidnapped child
- cries of woe echoed throughout the bombed city
- nagging regret for missed opportunities
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up grief? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).