Synonyms and Antonyms of line
a series of persons or things arranged one behind another
- The line for tickets stretched around the block.
a way of acting or proceeding
- Since the election, the president has taken a very conservative line.
blueprint, design, plan, scheme, strategy
intent, intention, purpose
approach, direction, method, path, pathway, tack
the activity by which one regularly makes a living
- My line of business is "pre-owned" vehicles, and have I got a deal for you!
business, enterprise, field, livelihood, living, métier (also metier), racket [slang]
assignment, engagement, gig, mission
art, craft, handcraft, handicraft
appointment, berth, billet, office, place, position, post, situation
duty, function, job, load, task, workload
a region of activity, knowledge, or influence
- Advanced mathematics is a little outside of my line, but I'll see what I can do to help.
area, arena, bailiwick, business, circle, department, discipline, domain, element, fief, fiefdom, field, firmament, front, game, kingdom, precinct, province, realm, specialty, sphere, terrain, walk
occupation, profession, pursuit, racket, vocation
ambit, amplitude, breadth, compass, confine, dimension(s), extent, ken, reach, scope, sweep, width
a real or imaginary point beyond which a person or thing cannot go
- You really crossed the line with that remark.
extremity, fag end, terminus
border, brim, edge, margin, rim, verge
bar, barrier, fence, hedge, restraint, stop, wall
a long hollow cylinder for carrying a substance (as a liquid or gas)
- The workers rushed to fix the leak in the gas line.
drain, drainpipe, funnel, hydrant, main, smokestack, spout, standpipe, stovepipe, tile, waste pipe, waterspout
pipage (or pipeage), pipeline, piping
a length of braided, flexible material that is used for tying or connecting things
- He made sure to bring extra fishing line in case a fish broke free.
a group of vehicles traveling together or under one management
- She owns a line of limousines.
the direction along which something or someone moves
- The airplane took a southerly line toward the capital.
a group of persons who come from the same ancestor
- A 10th of all island residents are members of the line of this early settler.
blood, clan, family, folks, house, kin, kindred, kinfolk (or kinfolks), kinsfolk, lineage, people, race, stock, tribe
blended family, nuclear family
extended family, household, kith
descendant (also descendent), issue, offspring, progeny, scion, seed
clansman, kinsman, kinswoman, relative
the line of ancestors from whom a person is descended
- He comes from a noble line that goes back several centuries.
ancestry, birth, blood, bloodline, breeding, descent, extraction, family tree, genealogy, lineage, origin, parentage, pedigree, stock, strain