: a favorable opportunity or circumstance
- did not have occasion to talk with them
: a state of affairs that provides a ground or reason
- The occasion of the discord was their mutual intolerance.
: an occurrence or condition that brings something about;
: the immediate inciting circumstance as distinguished from the fundamental cause
- His insulting remark was the occasion of a bitter quarrel.
: happening, incident
- Everybody has been terribly kind since my recent sad occasion.
- —Thomas Kelly
: a time at which something happens : instance
- on the occasion of his daughter's wedding
: a need arising from a particular circumstance
- knowledge for which he will never have any occasion
- —C. H. Grandgent
: a personal want or need
—usually used in plural
: affairs, business
- minded his own occasions and was content for other folk to mind theirs
- —S. H. Adams
: a special event or ceremony : celebration
- birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions
: from time to time
- He lives in the country, though he visits the city on occasion.