rise to the occasion/challengeidiom
Definition of rise to the occasion/challenge
: to make the special effort that is required to successfully deal with a difficult situation No one was sure if he could handle the pressure of making a speech, but he rose to the occasion and did an excellent job. When the company needed to increase its sales, its employees rose to the challenge.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game