rise to the occasion/challengeidiom
Definition of rise to the occasion/challenge
: to make the special effort that is required to successfully deal with a difficult situation No one was sure if he could handle the pressure of making a speech, but he rose to the occasion and did an excellent job. When the company needed to increase its sales, its employees rose to the challenge.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game