: to indicate or name by units or groups so as to find the total number of units involved : number
- Count the pages of the manuscript.
: to name the numbers in order up to and including
: to include in a tallying and reckoning
- about 100 present, counting children
: to call aloud (beats or time units)
: to record as of an opinion or persuasion
: to include or exclude by or as if by counting
: to recite or indicate the numbers in order by units or groups
: to count the units in a group
- She was interrupted while she was counting.
: to rely or depend on someone or something
—used with on
- He counted on his parents to help with the expenses.
: add, total
- It counts up to a sizable amount.
: to have value or significance
- These are the people who really count.
- His opinions don't count for much.
: to deserve to be regarded or considered
- a job so easy it hardly counts as work
: with more to come
- in business for 50 years and counting
: to count the number present