count outphrasal verb
counted out; counting out; counts out
Definition of count out
1 : to not include (someone) in an activity If you are looking for people to help you clean the house today, count me out.
2 : to decide that (someone or something) cannot win or succeed Don't count out our team just yet. They could still win.
3 : to count (a certain number of items to be separated from a quantity one is holding) He counted out ten tickets and handed them to her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game