counted out; counting out; counts out
Definition of count out
1 : to not include (someone) in an activity If you are looking for people to help you clean the house today, count me out.
2 : to decide that (someone or something) cannot win or succeed Don't count out our team just yet. They could still win.
3 : to count (a certain number of items to be separated from a quantity one is holding) He counted out ten tickets and handed them to her.
4 : to signal the knockout of (a boxer who is down) by completing an audible count of 10 seconds before the boxer rises
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game