down for the countidiom
variants: or out for the count
Definition of down for the count
of a boxer
: knocked down and unable to get up again before the referee counts to 10 The boxer was down for the count. —often used figuratively The company is in trouble and may be about to go down for the count.I was really sleepy and two minutes after getting into bed, I was out for the count.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?