variants: or less commonly charity line
Definition of charity stripe
: the line behind which a player shoots a free throw : the free throw line Miller boasts a soft shooting touch, good range, and steadiness at the charity stripe.— Mike Weber, Basketball Digest, March 1993 In the first half, the Warriors were 6 of 22 from the charity line, a percentage that could have been bettered by virtually anyone in the stands.— Tony Cooper, San Francisco Chronicle, 2 Dec. 2001
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?