the third degreenoun
Definition of the third degree
: a long and intense period of questioning The police gave him the third degree[=questioned him intensely]. Mom always gives me the third degree when I get home late. A micromanager who gives the third degree to anyone who makes even the smallest of mistakes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game