the third degreenoun
Definition of the third degree
: a long and intense period of questioning The police gave him the third degree[=questioned him intensely]. Mom always gives me the third degree when I get home late. A micromanager who gives the third degree to anyone who makes even the smallest of mistakes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game