Definition of second-degree
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 US, of a crime : of a level of seriousness that is less than first-degree : deserving punishment but not the most severe punishment second-degree assault/murder
2 : causing a moderate level of injury He received/suffered second-degree burns. a second-degree concussion
Definition of second degree (Entry 2 of 2)
: the level of a crime that is less than first degree and deserves less severe punishment He was charged with assault in the second degree.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game