: relating to, characteristic of, or resembling an animal : bestial 1
- Their languages, with complex clicks, were once dismissed as a guttural farrago of beastly sounds.
- —Stephen Jay Gould
: characterized by cruelty, brutality, or crudeness
- Yet this beastly little man was capable of exquisite humor and tenderness.
- —Edmund Morris
: extremely unpleasant, disagreeable, or undesirable
- It took him ages to get the beastly stuff out of his eyes and eyebrows, and as for his beard, he had to cut most of it off.
- —J. R. R. Tolkien
- At the beastly hour of 9:40 a.m. we trudged up to our nosebleed seats, wobbling like prizefighters in the final round, for the NFL preseason game between the Chargers and the Denver Broncos …
- —Gary Smith
: monstrously large or powerful
- … the staging area was packed with an eclectic mix of vehicles, from humble hatchbacks to beastly trucks.
- —Lisa Rose
- Workers with acetylene torches and a beastly contraption called the "dinosaur" are chewing quickly through the rusting old railroad tunnel …
- —Tim O'Neill