Examples of terse in a Sentence
- Everything about him is tidy, from his terse wit to the flecks of gray hair that fall in precise iterations around the edges of his scalp. —Devin Gordon, Newsweek, 29 July 2002
- … Johnston stays bolted to the wheelhouse floor, wrestling the helm and jotting down notes in the ship log. His entries are terse, bullet descriptions of the unending chaos outside. —Sebastian Junger, The Perfect Storm, 1997
- This vicious cycle was captured succinctly in Gandhi's terse warning that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. —David McCabe, Commonweal, 11 Apr. 1997
- She accepts the caller's terse expression of sympathy and duly expresses in return her appreciation for that unenviable bit of message-bearing. —John Barth, Harper's, January 1994
She gave me a few terse instructions and promptly left the room.
could tell from his terse replies to my questions that he was in no mood to talk
Recent Examples of terse from the Web
Because besides his comments, which were only a terse interlude before the actor launched into his prewritten introduction of Bruce Springsteen, De Niro didn’t say anything at all.
White was notably terse with reporters two weeks ago in discussing his latest comeback from injury and his uncertain prospects for 2018 and beyond.
The eclecticism of the bill spoke to his wandering ear, and ranged from the terse hardcore of Show Me the Body to the wise-ass raps of Wiki.
No American or Nigerien forces were harmed in the December gun battle, which the Pentagon first acknowledged in March in a terse line in an unclassified report to Congress.
But Ove’s motives are surprisingly complex, and his terse wit and twisted charm won the hearts of readers, both in his native Sweden and abroad.
Our civil discussion devolved into the silent treatment followed by a series of terse emails and then reconciliation.
But despite that terse reminder of the horrors of gun violence, students still banded together in more than 2,000 events to stand up for school safety and call for an end to guns on campus.
The terse letter includes a reminder that Everett officials can veto any transfer of the project’s host community agreement, a local deal necessary for any casino company in the state.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'terse.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of terse
- a concise description
- a terse reply
- a succinct letter of resignation
- an aloof and laconic stranger
- a summary listing of the year's main events
- a comedy sharpened by pithy one-liners
- a compendious dictionary
TERSE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of terse for English Language Learners
: brief and direct in a way that may seem rude or unfriendly
TERSE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up terse? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).