Examples of terse in a Sentence
- Everything about him is tidy, from his terse wit to the flecks of gray hair that fall in precise iterations around the edges of his scalp. —Devin Gordon, Newsweek, 29 July 2002
- … Johnston stays bolted to the wheelhouse floor, wrestling the helm and jotting down notes in the ship log. His entries are terse, bullet descriptions of the unending chaos outside. —Sebastian Junger, The Perfect Storm, 1997
- This vicious cycle was captured succinctly in Gandhi's terse warning that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. —David McCabe, Commonweal, 11 Apr. 1997
- She accepts the caller's terse expression of sympathy and duly expresses in return her appreciation for that unenviable bit of message-bearing. —John Barth, Harper's, January 1994
She gave me a few terse instructions and promptly left the room.
could tell from his terse replies to my questions that he was in no mood to talk
Recent Examples of terse from the Web
During negotiations, Mayfield wore some Adidas gear during a throwing session at the combine, which led to some terse interactions with Nike reps.
After an angry tirade to reporters Monday night, the president followed up with terse tweets on Tuesday morning.
Unlike Wagner, Swiss composer Frank Martin treats the Tristan and Isolde legend in a terse fashion in his 1941 chamber opera: as a tightly focused and psychological drama.
His terse remarks take on an oracular quality that can preclude disagreement.
Evans said of Virginia’s loss, in a terse articulation of a reality that often gets lost in the moments after bracket-busting giant-slayings.
Christopher Hale, the Milwaukee lawyer convicted of groping two female employees at a Mequon country club, issued a terse two-sentence apology and paid an undisclosed amount of cash to settle a lawsuit filed by one of the victims.
At the time, MPR offered only a terse explanation for the termination, but Keillor opted to share more detail.
Steely, terse, nocturnal, halting, nervously coiled, spooky and a continuous stream of non sequiturs.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'terse.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of terse
- a concise description
- a terse reply
- a succinct letter of resignation
- an aloof and laconic stranger
- a summary listing of the year's main events
- a comedy sharpened by pithy one-liners
- a compendious dictionary
TERSE Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of terse for English Language Learners
: brief and direct in a way that may seem rude or unfriendly
TERSE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up terse? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).