: a prayer or invocation for harm or injury to come upon one : imprecation
- People believe that there is a curse on the house.
: a profane or obscene oath or word
- In an antechamber, his lieutenants suddenly heard the shattering of glass and angry curses.
- —Sam Moses
: something that is cursed or accursed
- "I … will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth."
- —Jeremiah 26:6 (King James Version)
: evil or misfortune that comes as if in response to imprecation or as retribution
- … intolerance is the greatest curse of every land …
- —Kenneth Roberts
: a cause of great harm or misfortune : torment
- His fame turned out to be a curse, not a blessing.