Examples of sparing in a Sentence
a sparing couple who are trying to save up enough for a house
a government agency that has always been sparing of public information
First Known Use of sparing
Synonym Discussion of sparing
- sparing in the offering of advice
- ran a frugal household
- thrifty use of nonrenewable resources
- an economical health-care plan
SPARING Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of sparing for English Language Learners
: not using or giving a lot of something
SPARING Defined for Kids
Definition of sparing for Students
- I've been sparing with the cornmeal, but it's almost gone …
- —Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie
- The campers were sparing with the matches.
- She used her savings sparingly.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up sparing? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).