Examples of sparing in a Sentence
a sparing couple who are trying to save up enough for a house
a government agency that has always been sparing of public information
First Known Use of sparing
Synonymseconomical, economizing, provident, scrimping, frugal, thrifty
Antonymsprodigal, profligate, spendthrift, squandering, thriftless, unthrifty, wasteful
Related Wordsconserving, preserving, saving; forehanded, foresighted, foresightful, prudent; penny-wise; cheap, close, closefisted, mean, miserly, niggard, niggardly, parsimonious, penny-pinching, penurious, pinching, spare, stingy, stinting, tight, tightfisted
Near Antonymsimprovident, shortsighted; bountiful, charitable, freehanded, generous, liberal, munificent, openhanded, unselfish, unsparing; extravagant, indulgent, lavish
Synonym Discussion of sparing
- sparing in the offering of advice
- ran a frugal household
- thrifty use of nonrenewable resources
- an economical health-care plan
SPARING Defined for English Language Learners
SPARING Defined for Kids
Definition of sparing for Students
- I've been sparing with the cornmeal, but it's almost gone …
- —Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie
- The campers were sparing with the matches.
- She used her savings sparingly.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up sparing? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).