Definition of self-inflating
1 : capable of inflating itself self-inflating life rafts a self-inflating resuscitator
2 : acting or intended to portray oneself as more impressive, successful, or important than one really is : self-aggrandizing a self-inflating blowhard … makes self-inflating claims that are demonstrably untrue.— Phil Mushnick Accuracy and credibility are the essence of being a journalist. There is no room for self-inflating stories, falsehoods or even mixed-up memories. — The Statesman Journal (Salem, Oregon) (online)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game