put a cork in itidiom
Definition of put a cork in it
chiefly US, informal
—used as a rude way to tell someone to stop talking and especially to stop complaining Why don't you put a cork in it! I'm sick of your whining!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game