predict

verb
pre·​dict | \pri-ˈdikt \
predicted; predicting; predicts

Definition of predict 

transitive verb

: to declare or indicate in advance especially : foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason

Keep scrolling for more

Other Words from predict

predictability \ pri-​ˌdik-​tə-​ˈbi-​lə-​tē \ noun
predictable \ pri-​ˈdik-​tə-​bəl \ adjective
predictive \ pri-​ˈdik-​tiv \ adjective
predictively \ pri-​ˈdik-​tiv-​lē \ adverb
predictor \ pri-​ˈdik-​tər \ noun

Choose the Right Synonym for predict

foretell, predict, forecast, prophesy, prognosticate mean to tell beforehand. foretell applies to the telling of the coming of a future event by any procedure or any source of information. seers foretold the calamity predict commonly implies inference from facts or accepted laws of nature. astronomers predicted an eclipse forecast adds the implication of anticipating eventualities and differs from predict in being usually concerned with probabilities rather than certainties. forecast snow prophesy connotes inspired or mystic knowledge of the future especially as the fulfilling of divine threats or promises. prophesying a new messiah prognosticate is used less often than the other words; it may suggest learned or skilled interpretation, but more often it is simply a colorful substitute for predict or prophesy. prognosticating the future

Examples of predict in a Sentence

All the local forecasters are predicting rain for this afternoon. She claims that she can predict future events. It's hard to predict how the election will turn out. Many people predicted that the store would fail, but it has done very well. Sales are predicted to be the same as last year.
See More

Recent Examples on the Web

Lamont has also predicted the state could legalize recreational marijuana during the first legislative session of his term. Dylan Scott, Vox, "Democratic wins in these 9 states will have seismic policy consequences," 9 Nov. 2018 Merlin predicts that The Legend of Tarzan will be a big hit with Logan fans for example. James Vincent, The Verge, "20th Century Fox is using AI to analyze movie trailers and find out what films audiences will like," 2 Nov. 2018 NOAA’s Winter Outlook predicts three quarters of the country will have a warmer winter. Megan Friedman, Country Living, "NOAA Predicts Winter Is Going to Be Warmer Than Usual for Most of the United States," 22 Oct. 2018 FiveThirtyEight predicts that Democrats have a 78 percent chance of flipping the House this year, but just a 22 percent chance of flipping the Senate. Lauren Holter, Marie Claire, "If You Care About Immigration, Here's What You Need To Know About The Midterms," 16 Oct. 2018 Gartner predicts that Intel's CPU shortages will persist until 2019, yet have no apparent effects on PC demand. Mark Hachman, PCWorld, "Microsoft cracks the top 5 U.S. PC vendors, but Intel CPU shortages could bring more change," 11 Oct. 2018 In her reveal video, Tells predicts the palette will be widely available this fall, which is right around the corner. Kaleigh Fasanella, Allure, "It Looks Like Urban Decay's New Naked Cherry Palette Just Leaked on Social Media," 29 Aug. 2018 On April 6, USA Today’s Nate Davis predicted that Conley would be taken No. Michael Mccann, SI.com, "Could Gareon Conley Legally Prove That Rape Allegation Caused Draft Slide, Financial Harm?," 12 July 2018 Two years ago the bank’s then-president, Nelson Merentes, predicted that Venezuela would become an exporter of banknotes, but that never happened. The Economist, "Venezuelan cash is almost worthless, but also scarce," 12 July 2018

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'predict.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of predict

1590, in the meaning defined at transitive sense

History and Etymology for predict

Latin praedictus, past participle of praedicere, from prae- pre- + dicere to say — more at diction

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about predict

Statistics for predict

Last Updated

13 Nov 2018

Look-up Popularity

Time Traveler for predict

The first known use of predict was in 1590

See more words from the same year

Keep scrolling for more

More Definitions for predict

predict

verb

English Language Learners Definition of predict

: to say that (something) will or might happen in the future

predict

verb
pre·​dict | \pri-ˈdikt \
predicted; predicting

Kids Definition of predict

: to say that (something) will or might happen in the future predict the weather

Keep scrolling for more

Comments on predict

What made you want to look up predict? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

WORD OF THE DAY

a trusted follower

Get Word of the Day daily email!

Test Your Vocabulary

Difficult Vocab Quiz

  • the-education-of-achilles-eugne-delacroix
  • Which is a synonym of discomfit?
Spell It

Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words?

TAKE THE QUIZ
Word Winder's CrossWinder

Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ

Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!