Definition of make noises
1 : to talk about something in usually an indirect way —usually + about She started making noises about running for office.Her parents are making noises about wanting a grandchild.The government has been making some encouraging noises about the possibility of a tax cut.
2 : to make statements of a specified kind The company has been making soothing/reassuring noises to calm the fears of investors. —often used to suggest that the things being said are not sincere or effective Politicians are making (all) the right noises about improving the schools, but they don't want to spend any money to do it.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game