Origin and Etymology of league
First Known Use: 14th centurySee Words from the same year
Definition of league
- the League of Nations
- the League of Voters
- He organized a bowling league.
- the National Football League
- in league with her sister
Examples of league in a Sentence
the whole block leagued together to keep a liquor store from opening in their neighborhood
some unlikely political bedfellows leagued together to get the bill passed
close ranks, pull together;
LEAGUE Defined for Kids
Definition of league for Students
- a softball league
- He was in league with the thieves.
- When it comes to playing chess, I am not in the same league as the experienced players.
Learn More about league
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up league? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).