Definition of heterodyne
(Entry 1 of 2)
: of or relating to the production of an electrical beat between two radio frequencies of which one usually is that of a received signal-carrying current and the other that of an uninterrupted current introduced into the apparatus also : of or relating to the production of a beat between two optical frequencies
Definition of heterodyne (Entry 2 of 2)
: to combine (something, such as a radio frequency) with a different frequency so that a beat is produced
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game