:the will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do :destiny
- … fate sometimes deals a straight flush … he had no idea that he would become the right man in the right place at the right time …
- —June Goodfield
:an inevitable and often adverse outcome, condition, or end
- Her fate was to remain in exile.
- The villain met his fate at the hands of the hero.
- Congress decided the bill's fate by a single vote.
:the expected result of normal development
- prospective fate of embryonic cells
:the circumstances that befall someone or something
- did not know the fate of her former classmates
:the three goddesses, Atropos, Clotho, and Lachesis, who determine the course of human life in classical mythology