: a stupid person
- I think fast drivers are dopes.
- —Randy Wayne White
- … people are promised windfall profits from can't-miss investments—to be paid, when they are paid at all, only out of money collected from subsequent dopes and dupes.
- —David Margolick
: an illicit drug (such as heroin or cocaine) used for its intoxicating or euphoric effects;
: a preparation (such as an anabolic steroid, diuretic, or tranquilizer) given to a racehorse to help or hinder its performance
: information especially from a reliable source
- the inside dope on a celebrity's new romance
: a thick liquid or pasty preparation
- Apply a small amount of pipe dope or Teflon tape to the threads of the adapter …
- —Michael J. McGroarty
: a preparation for giving a desired quality to a substance or surface
- She … would also glue the canvas over the frames of the planes and then use "dope," a special type of lacquer to harden the body of the plane.
- —Washington (Indiana) Times-Herald
: absorbent or adsorbent material used in various manufacturing processes (such as the making of dynamite)
- A dynamite's strength and its water resistance are determined by the dopes —the particular dry ingredients that are combined with the nitroglycerin.
- —Bryan Di Salvatore
: a cola drink