Examples of beautiful in a Sentence
- Located on one of the most beautiful and untouched coastlines in America, this recreational area has much to offer. You can hike on rocky headlands that rise dramatically from the Pacific Ocean, ride horses or bikes along scenic trails, walk along the many beaches, kayak on pristine Tomales Bay, or spy the abundance of native flowers and wildlife, including elephant seals and tule elk. —Tim Fish, Wine Spectator, 15 Nov. 2008
- In her biography of Monroe, Churchwell takes to task the relentless mythomania of her admirers and critics, who are equally invested in nurturing the legend of a hapless beautiful woman consumed by her desire for celebrity and love. —Lakshmi Chaudhry, Nation, 27 Aug.-3 Sept. 2007
- In the hothouse of today's celebrity monoculture, the result has been the perfection of the kind of profile in which athletes and actors struggle to overcome … absence or presence in their lives of money, fame, sex and drugs. Especially so in the upscale slicks, where these stories of the rich and beautiful emerge so flat and lifeless that no one in them casts a shadow. —Jeff MacGregor, New York Times Book Review, 21 Aug. 2005
You have the most beautiful smile.
The film tells a beautiful story about two young lovers.
Our hotel room had a beautiful view of the ocean.
The sunsets here are absolutely beautiful.
What a beautiful day for a picnic!
This is a beautiful example of early American poetry.
Recent Examples of beautiful from the Web
Heber-Percy inherited the estate and, in turn, left it to his granddaughter, the ferociously intelligent and beautiful Zinovieff.
Thomas makes sure to keep the store stocked with one-of-a-kind pieces that are equal parts functional and beautiful.
Many of the bones end up as jewelry or staffs carved in the distinctive flowing, openwork style of Maori art, which often features fierce and beautiful stylized human figures, spirals, and fishhooks.
Although not as internationally well-known as Miyazaki, Takahata directed some of Studio Ghibli's most beautiful and original films, from the moving Only Yesterday to the heart-wrenching war drama Grave of the Fireflies.
If the boat was clean, the carvings beautiful, and the men respectful, the whale might reposition itself to be harpooned.
Welcome to Scion As befitting a research institute devoted to all things wood, Scion has a large and beautiful campus, set on the edges of a recreational forest and an active geothermal field.
That’s why soccer is such a beautiful sport and the best sport in the world.
And other tips for staying young and beautiful at 60.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'beautiful.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Can beautiful be used to describe a man?
Our evidence shows that when beautiful is used to describe physical beauty, it is overwhelming used of women or a physical aspect of a woman (such as her hair or skin). This hasn't always been the case: when beautiful first came into English it was used as easily of men as it was of women. Nowadays, handsome is the adjective of appreciation most commonly used of men.
The plural noun phrase beautiful people doesn't refer to the overall looks of the people mentioned, but rather the elegance and sumptuousness of their lives.
aesthetic (also esthetic), attractive, beauteous, comely, cute, drop-dead, fair, fetching, good, good-looking, goodly, gorgeous, handsome, knockout, lovely, lovesome, pretty, ravishing, seemly, sightly, stunning, taking, well-favored;
abhorrent, abominable, bad, disagreeable, disgusting, dreadful, foul, frightful, ghastly, horrible, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, objectionable, offensive, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, shocking, sickening, terrible, vile;
Synonym Discussion of beautiful
- beautiful mountain scenery
- a lovely melody
- a handsome Georgian mansion
- a painter of conventionally pretty scenes
- the comely grace of a dancer
- fair of face
BEAUTIFUL Defined for Kids
Synonym Discussion of beautiful
- We saw a beautiful sunset.
- It was a beautiful story about faith.
- She held a pretty little doll.
- The mayor sat at a handsome desk.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up beautiful? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).