Examples of beautiful in a Sentence
- Located on one of the most beautiful and untouched coastlines in America, this recreational area has much to offer. You can hike on rocky headlands that rise dramatically from the Pacific Ocean, ride horses or bikes along scenic trails, walk along the many beaches, kayak on pristine Tomales Bay, or spy the abundance of native flowers and wildlife, including elephant seals and tule elk. —Tim Fish, Wine Spectator, 15 Nov. 2008
- In her biography of Monroe, Churchwell takes to task the relentless mythomania of her admirers and critics, who are equally invested in nurturing the legend of a hapless beautiful woman consumed by her desire for celebrity and love. —Lakshmi Chaudhry, Nation, 27 Aug.-3 Sept. 2007
- In the hothouse of today's celebrity monoculture, the result has been the perfection of the kind of profile in which athletes and actors struggle to overcome … absence or presence in their lives of money, fame, sex and drugs. Especially so in the upscale slicks, where these stories of the rich and beautiful emerge so flat and lifeless that no one in them casts a shadow. —Jeff MacGregor, New York Times Book Review, 21 Aug. 2005
You have the most beautiful smile.
The film tells a beautiful story about two young lovers.
Our hotel room had a beautiful view of the ocean.
The sunsets here are absolutely beautiful.
What a beautiful day for a picnic!
This is a beautiful example of early American poetry.
Recent Examples of beautiful from the Web
Sunday: Coming off lows in the mid-20s to around freezing, this is a beautiful day on the whole.
His final meeting with Vaughan is beautiful and ethereal.
Maltzman said his concept is tailor-made for cruise ships because his mobile blending bar can be rolled into any available space, even poolside on a beautiful day.
Here are 8 things to do in our two beautiful days of winter sun.
Everything about Alaska is harsher and more beautiful and more dangerous than most ordinary places.
To celebrate strong women on this beautiful day, here is an inspiring quote from her @billboard interview.
The simulated game appeared a perfect little baseball event for all those lucky enough to stumble upon it, seemingly beautiful and airy and carefree for everyone except the 34-year-old veteran and four-time All-Star on the mound.
Many moments are beautiful and surreal, while others are just plain weird (and not always in a good way).
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'beautiful.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Can beautiful be used to describe a man?
Our evidence shows that when beautiful is used to describe physical beauty, it is overwhelming used of women or a physical aspect of a woman (such as her hair or skin). This hasn't always been the case: when beautiful first came into English it was used as easily of men as it was of women. Nowadays, handsome is the adjective of appreciation most commonly used of men.
The plural noun phrase beautiful people doesn't refer to the overall looks of the people mentioned, but rather the elegance and sumptuousness of their lives.
aesthetic (also esthetic), attractive, beauteous, comely, cute, drop-dead, fair, fetching, good, good-looking, goodly, gorgeous, handsome, knockout, lovely, lovesome, pretty, ravishing, seemly, sightly, stunning, taking, well-favored;
abhorrent, abominable, bad, disagreeable, disgusting, dreadful, foul, frightful, ghastly, horrible, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, objectionable, offensive, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, shocking, sickening, terrible, vile;
Synonym Discussion of beautiful
- beautiful mountain scenery
- a lovely melody
- a handsome Georgian mansion
- a painter of conventionally pretty scenes
- the comely grace of a dancer
- fair of face
BEAUTIFUL Defined for Kids
Synonym Discussion of beautiful
- We saw a beautiful sunset.
- It was a beautiful story about faith.
- She held a pretty little doll.
- The mayor sat at a handsome desk.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up beautiful? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).