Definition of deprecating
: tending or serving to disparage or belittle someone or something a deprecating remark Allagash tells you, with a deprecating roll of his eyes, that Vicky is studying Philosophy at Princeton.— Jay McInerney There are little judgments on him throughout the text, sometimes mildly deprecating, sometimes robustly defensive. — The Times Literary Supplement — see also self-deprecating
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game