: the residence or establishment of a sovereign or similar dignitary
- riding to the king's court
: a sovereign's formal assembly of councillors and officers
- The king held a general court.
: the sovereign and officers and advisers who are the governing power
- The court has decided against the alliance.
: the family and retinue of a sovereign
- The court enjoyed the tournament.
: a reception held by a sovereign
2 a (1)
: a manor house or large building surrounded by usually enclosed grounds
: an open space enclosed wholly or partly by buildings or circumscribed by a single building
- the court at the center of the palace
: a quadrangular space walled or marked off for playing one of various games with a ball (such as tennis, handball, or basketball);
: a division of such a court
: a wide alley with only one opening onto a street
: an official assembly for the transaction of judicial business
: a session of such a court
- The court is now adjourned.
: a place (such as a chamber) for the administration of justice
- sat quietly in the back of the court
: a judge or judges in session;
: a faculty or agency of judgment or evaluation
- … rest our case in the court of world opinion …
- —Leonard H. Marks
: an assembly or board with legislative or administrative powers
: conduct or attention intended to win favor or dispel hostility : homage