Examples of atypical in a Sentence
the postal service delivered the package with atypical speed
since that's an atypical response for an infant, you might want to have her hearing tested
Recent Examples of atypical from the Web
But Valentine’s Day this year became an atypical day to be absent.
The French have a soft spot for authority, and the mighty presidency (atypical for Europe) and the academy (founded to guarantee the purity of the French language) are both symbols of that.
All of that makes their college search process quite atypical.
But for an atypical take on the human experience, check out these unusual museums and their oddball collections.
Antetokounmpo was not at his locker following the game, which is not atypical in situations when a player sustains an in-game injury.
That’s not atypical for this complex field, which ranges from quantum physics (understanding the mechanism of the computer) to engineering (how to make the computer) to software design (a whole lot of math).
Then, around 2005, came published reports of two rare but terrifying side effects: osteonecrosis of the jaw and a bizarre breaking of the leg bone called atypical femoral fracture (AFF).
Our Buffalo sauce is a mixture of butter, hot sauce, marinara sauce (an atypical addition in our recipe), and cream.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'atypical.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
ATYPICAL Defined for English Language Learners
: not typical : not usual or normal
ATYPICAL Defined for Kids
- The procedure, ductal lavage, washes cells from the milk ducts, where 95 percent of breast cancers start. Tests can then be performed to look for atypical or abnormal cells.
- —Judith Groch, The New York Times, 20 Nov. 2001
- The results of treatment of patients with gallstones are less successful in individuals with atypical pain patterns or painless dyspepsia …
- —The Journal of the American Medical Association, 24 Feb. 1993
- In some patients with atypical dysgenesis, the smear may show slight proliferation.
- —George L Wied et al., Compendium on Diagnostic Cytology, 1976
- Atypical antipsychotics work more precisely, manipulating both dopamine and serotonin and suppressing symptoms without causing so many associated problems.
- —Jeffrey Kluger, Time, 19 Aug. 2002
- Although studies indicated that the atypical drugs are similar to the conventional drugs in reducing psychotic symptoms and produce few neurologic effects, the evidence of their superior efficacy has been neither consistent nor robust …
- —Jeffrey A. Lieberman et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 22 Sept. 2005
- Atypically depressed patients often show a different clinical picture from those with “classical” major depression.
- —Ronald Pies, The New York Times, 31 July 2007
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up atypical? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).