Examples of atypical in a Sentence
the postal service delivered the package with atypical speed
since that's an atypical response for an infant, you might want to have her hearing tested
Recent Examples of atypical from the Web
This has already connected our neighborhood by creating friendships where relationships between residents only a few lots away were atypical.
Clever interpretations of classic Catalan cuisine in an atypical gas station-style property.
This might be normal for a Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong-un but is atypical of recent Chinese leaders.
Against a field of five seasoned prosecutors and one also-ran judge, Krasner stood out for two reasons: his atypical career path and his fiery antagonism toward police and prosecutors.
Following that gift, the couple made a second $5 million donation to an atypical organization named GiveDirectly — an international organization with no experience in the U.S. or working with natural disasters.
The report thoughtfully takes a strong stance and recommends the wider use of clozapine, an atypical antipsychotic medication that, for people with schizophrenia, is often superior to other medications.
By her grace Zandria Robinson is a shaman, griot, marabout, holy figure in atypical package.
Sabathia's removal after striking out nine and walking none, while not atypical for an elimination game, nonetheless represented the latest instance of a starting pitcher getting a quick hook in an October bereft of workhorse performances.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'atypical.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsaberrant, aberrated, abnormal, anomalous, exceptional, especial, exceeding, extraordinaire, extraordinary, freak, odd, peculiar, phenomenal, preternatural, rare, singular, uncommon, uncustomary, unique, unusual, unwonted
Antonymscommon, customary, normal, ordinary, typical, unexceptional, unextraordinary, usual
Related Wordsconspicuous, notable, noticeable, outstanding, prominent, remarkable, salient, striking; bizarre, deviant, eccentric, freakish, monstrous, oddball, outlandish, quaint, strange, weird; incomprehensible, inconceivable, incredible, unimaginable, unthinkable
Near Antonymseveryday, familiar, frequent
ATYPICAL Defined for English Language Learners
ATYPICAL Defined for Kids
medical Definition of atypical
- The procedure, ductal lavage, washes cells from the milk ducts, where 95 percent of breast cancers start. Tests can then be performed to look for atypical or abnormal cells.
- —Judith Groch, The New York Times, 20 Nov. 2001
- The results of treatment of patients with gallstones are less successful in individuals with atypical pain patterns or painless dyspepsia …
- —The Journal of the American Medical Association, 24 Feb. 1993
- In some patients with atypical dysgenesis, the smear may show slight proliferation.
- —George L Wied et al., Compendium on Diagnostic Cytology, 1976
- Atypical antipsychotics work more precisely, manipulating both dopamine and serotonin and suppressing symptoms without causing so many associated problems.
- —Jeffrey Kluger, Time, 19 Aug. 2002
- Although studies indicated that the atypical drugs are similar to the conventional drugs in reducing psychotic symptoms and produce few neurologic effects, the evidence of their superior efficacy has been neither consistent nor robust …
- —Jeffrey A. Lieberman et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 22 Sept. 2005
- Atypically depressed patients often show a different clinical picture from those with “classical” major depression.
- —Ronald Pies, The New York Times, 31 July 2007
medical Definition of atypical
- Her 24-year-old daughter, diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1993, had problems with two types of atypicals before a third proved successful.
- —Stephaan Harris, USA Today, 28 June 1999
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up atypical? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).