:the act or state of applying the mind to something
- Our attention was on the game.
- You should pay attention to what she says.
:a condition of readiness for such attention involving especially a selective narrowing or focusing of consciousness and receptivity
- Students, do I have your attention?
:consideration with a view to action
- a problem requiring prompt attention
:an act of civility or courtesy especially in courtship
- She welcomed his attentions.
:sympathetic consideration of the needs and wants of others :attentiveness
- She lavished attention on her children.
:a position assumed by a soldier with heels together, body erect, arms at the sides, and eyes to the front
—often used as a command
- (US) The troops stood at attention. = (British) The troops stood to attention.