snap to attentionidiom
Definition of snap to attention
: to move quickly to a position of standing silently with the body stiff and straight, the feet together, and both arms at the sides The soldier snapped to attention. —sometimes used figuratively The children snapped to attention and got quiet when the teacher clapped his hands.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game