:the act or action of grasping with the intellect :understanding
- children who have difficulty with comprehension of spoken language
- What the artist actually needs is comprehension of his aims and ideals by men he respects …
- —H. L. Mencken
:knowledge gained by comprehending
- tests that measure the students' comprehension in math
- She carried on with full comprehension of the risk involved.
:the capacity for understanding fully
- mysteries that are beyond our comprehension
- The war caused suffering beyond comprehension.
:the act or process of comprising
- the comprehension of all the denominations into one Church
:the faculty or capability of including :comprehensiveness
- the broad comprehension of the word "animal"