at the first signidiom
Definition of at the first sign
: as soon as something happens that indicates an action or event has begun to take place The bartender called the police at the first sign of trouble. At the first sign of spring she planted annuals in her flower beds.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game