at the expense ofidiom
Definition of at the expense of
: in a way that harms (something or someone) Malls flourished at the expense of small stores downtown. He argues that the tax cut will benefit the rich at the expense of the poor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game