at the expense ofidiom
Definition of at the expense of
: in a way that harms (something or someone) Malls flourished at the expense of small stores downtown. He argues that the tax cut will benefit the rich at the expense of the poor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game