at the expense ofidiom
Definition of at the expense of
: in a way that harms (something or someone) Malls flourished at the expense of small stores downtown. He argues that the tax cut will benefit the rich at the expense of the poor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game