an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cureidiom
Definition of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
—used to say that it is better and easier to stop a problem, illness, etc., from happening than to stop or correct it after it has started
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game