:a share or portion allotted or granted
:a sum granted as a reimbursement or bounty or for expenses
:a sum regularly provided for personal or household expenses
- a salary that includes a cost-of-living allowance
- Each child receives a weekly allowance.
:a fixed or available amount
- provide an allowance of time for recreation
:a reduction from a list price or stated price
:an imposed handicap (as in a horse race)
:an allowed dimensional difference between mating parts of a machine
:the act of regarding bad behavior or a mistake as less serious or bad because of some special circumstance
- Some allowance should be made for her inexperience.
- The plan makes no allowance for bad weather.