Hil·de·brand·ine | \ ¦hildə¦brandə̇n, -nˌdīn\
variants: or less commonly Hildebrandian \ -ndēən \
Definition of Hildebrandine
1 : of or relating to Hildebrand especially with reference to his drastic reforms of church government and his assertion of papal supremacy over the lower clergy and civil authorities
2 : adhering to the principles of Hildebrand the Hildebrandine party
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game