variants: or proinflammatory
Medical Definition of pro-inflammatory
: promoting inflammation : capable of causing inflammation pro-inflammatory cytokines … viruses also trigger pro-inflammatory responses, which remain poorly defined.— Daniel A. Muruve et al., Nature, 6 Mar. 2008 When the lesions are traumatized, or rubbed firmly, the cutaneous mast cells may release proinflammatory mediators, causing edema, erythema, and even vesicle formation.— Melissa M. Burnett et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 20 Dec. 2007
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game