Definition of voice exchange
: the simultaneous exchange of musical phrases between two or more voices or parts First, there is a voice exchange: the lower voice moves up a semitone from G to A♭, then the upper voice descends a semitone from A♭ to G.— Joseph N. Straus, The Music of Ruth Crawford Seeger, 1995
— called also part exchange
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game