Definition of the Left
1 : political groups who favor sharing money and property more equally among the members of a society : political groups who support liberal or socialist policies Members of the Left have voiced their opinion on the matter before Congress.
2 the left : the position of people who support the liberal beliefs and policies of the political Left The party has shifted to the left.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game