Definition of the Left
1 : political groups who favor sharing money and property more equally among the members of a society : political groups who support liberal or socialist policies Members of the Left have voiced their opinion on the matter before Congress.
2 the left : the position of people who support the liberal beliefs and policies of the political Left The party has shifted to the left.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game