Definition of superheroine
: a female fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers : a female superhero Change may be around the corner, as Wonder Woman—arguably, the most recognized superheroine of the modern age—finally arrived on the big screen.— Lauren Chochinov … women are still waiting—on screen and off—for a place in the comic-book-branded, fanboy-dominated superhero cosmos. This is not to say that there are no superheroines.— Manohla Dargis and A. O. Scott also : an exceptionally courageous, skillful, or successful woman or girl The band celebrates superheroines … like themselves, who go where most women fear. — Evelyn McDonnell Rorke is a real-life superheroine in her own way. In 2004 … she won the trade and industry department's Technology for Women in Business Award. — Rehana Rossouw
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game