Examples of success in a Sentence
- An enormous popular and critical success, The Liars' Club was credited with (or blamed for) launching a new wave of memoir-writing. (Karr deflects this accusation: "I think memoir started with St. Augustine," she told Salon in 1997.) —Mollie Wilson O'Reilly, Commonweal, 23 Oct. 2009
- Fred tries to keep up his end of the conversation, but without much success; he has never grown bulbs, cooked veal, seen a film by Fassbinder, etc. He feels provincial and out of it … —Alison Lurie, Foreign Affairs, 2006
- Since I was interested in finding out about the successes as well as the failures disabled women experience in the world, I interviewed women who had some work experience, although it was often part-time work and sometimes interrupted. —Mary Grimley Mason, Working Against Odds, 2004
- The necessaries of life for man in this climate may, accurately enough, be distributed under the several heads of Food, Shelter, Clothing, and Fuel; for not till we have secured these are we prepared to entertain the true problems of life with freedom and a prospect of success. —Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Success came easily to him.
She is country music's most recent success.
The growth of the tourism industry is one of the city's great successes.
Recent Examples of success from the Web
That said, realizing what not to change and having the courage to stay the course is often more important to long term success.
Volunteers, donations, and sponsors are still needed to help make the carnival a success.
Allow team success in the classroom and on the field to help secure the futures of the athletes in the program.
Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson will look to lead the Cardinals to new heights after U of L got a taste of success and the spotlight last season.
Back then nothing signaled success like braying into a first-generation Motorola while sipping some cloudy, rare sake.
With CIF Southern Section realignment, success in the playoffs usually means a bump up in divisions the following season.
Basking in the success of the brand responding to what people want, fans then asked for the next dream collab: an Aaliyah x MAC collection in honor of the legendary late singer.
Trump declined to specify the number of troops the U.S. would have in Afghanistan or detail what criteria would be used to determine success.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'success.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsblockbuster, megahit, smash, hit, supernova, winner
Antonymsbomb, bummer, bust, catastrophe, clinker, debacle (also débâcle), dud, failure, fiasco, flop, misfire, turkey, washout
Related Wordsblue chip, blue chipper, corker, crackerjack (also crackajack), dandy, jim-dandy, pip, prizewinner; gem, jewel, treasure; marvel, natural, phenomenon, sensation, wonder; coup, triumph, victory
Near Antonymsdisappointment, fizzle, lemon, loser
SUCCESS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of success for English Language Learners
: the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame
: the correct or desired result of an attempt
: someone or something that is successful : a person or thing that succeeds
SUCCESS Defined for Kids
Definition of success for Students
- But you must, when you are calculating the odds of the mouse's success, factor in his love for the princess.
- —Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux
- The show was a success.
Headscratcher for success
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up success? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).