Examples of success in a Sentence
- An enormous popular and critical success, The Liars' Club was credited with (or blamed for) launching a new wave of memoir-writing. (Karr deflects this accusation: "I think memoir started with St. Augustine," she told Salon in 1997.) —Mollie Wilson O'Reilly, Commonweal, 23 Oct. 2009
- Fred tries to keep up his end of the conversation, but without much success; he has never grown bulbs, cooked veal, seen a film by Fassbinder, etc. He feels provincial and out of it … —Alison Lurie, Foreign Affairs, 2006
- Since I was interested in finding out about the successes as well as the failures disabled women experience in the world, I interviewed women who had some work experience, although it was often part-time work and sometimes interrupted. —Mary Grimley Mason, Working Against Odds, 2004
- The necessaries of life for man in this climate may, accurately enough, be distributed under the several heads of Food, Shelter, Clothing, and Fuel; for not till we have secured these are we prepared to entertain the true problems of life with freedom and a prospect of success. —Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Success came easily to him.
She is country music's most recent success.
The growth of the tourism industry is one of the city's great successes.
Recent Examples of success from the Web
The two enjoyed success in Dortmund before upping sticks and moving to the Premier League, winning one Bundesliga title, one DFB-Pokal and reaching the Champions League final.
Baker sees building relationships between professional artists and the school as a foundation for success in students’ professional careers.
Pearl and his team understand that much, acknowledging Frank Martin's team's recent run of success in the series thanks to a frustrating defensive scheme as well as the challenge that the Gamecocks provide in the paint with Chris Silva.
Jansen has known only success in the major leagues.
The Mustangs offense, meanwhile, was finding success in and out of the paint.
With Guerrero's past success in FIFA, the Timbers are hopeful that their new eSports competitor will be able to advance through the eMLS Cup in April and go on to the represent the club at the FIFA 18 Global Series Playoff this summer.
Dallas and Demi began to find mild success in entertainment.
Business should be brisk, if Sheeran’s album sales and box-office success in these parts is a good measure.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'success.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
a feather in one's cap;
SUCCESS Defined for English Language Learners
SUCCESS Defined for Kids
Definition of success for Students
- But you must, when you are calculating the odds of the mouse's success, factor in his love for the princess.
- —Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux
- The show was a success.
Headscratcher for success
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up success? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).