Definition of stop press
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a space or column in a newspaper containing last-minute news items usually printed from a fudge hadn't seen anything in the stop press or the early papers— Christopher Bush
Definition of stop-press (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : made or inserted while a printing press is stopped in the course of a run a stop-press alteration a stop-press correction
2 : of up-to-the-minute significance or interest : timely many a worthy book of scholarship might be all the better for … relating itself to the stop-press facts of life— James Cameron
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?