Examples of renowned in a Sentence
- Poggio prospected for manuscripts across much of western Europe, visiting the renowned monasteries of Reichenau and Fulda, and wandering as far afield as Cologne, London, Paris, and Rome. —Fred Lerner, The Story of Libraries, 1998
- He was renowned for his appetite—in the mid-60's, his daily breakfast consisted of six steaks, four plates of pasta and a dozen eggs … —Maureen Dowd, New York Times, 24 June 1993
- … it was hard for me to realize that I was to be honoured by a degree from the oldest and most renowned university in America. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery, 1901
a restaurant renowned for its wine list
the renowned painter, sculptor, architect, and engineer, Leonardo da Vinci
Recent Examples of renowned from the Web
Renowned financier and philanthropist David Rubenstein travels the country talking to leaders to uncover their stories and their path to success.
Designed by renowned local architects William Hebbard and Irving Gill, the Marston house sits on five acres nestled in between residences on Seventh Avenue near Upas Street and adjacent to state Route 163.
Samin Nosrat, renowned chef and cooking teacher, says the best-tasting olive oil is sold right at Costco, reports the Huffington Post.
FAREWELL JUNE FORAY VF.com’s Yohana Desta e-mails: June Foray, a trailblazer in the animation world and a renowned voice actress, most famous for voicing Rocky in the children’s classic The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, has died.
Edgewater’s Income Tax and Independent Spirits, Inc. are partnering to host two renowned winemakers from Germany for a joint tasting.
During the Vietnam War, he was arrested and spent a night in jail with Benjamin Spock, the renowned pediatrician, for their participation in an antiwar protest.
Her vision brought her to Polaris, an international non-governmental organization renowned for its work on curbing human trafficking.
The book is co-authored by Frank Drake, the renowned astrophysicist who came up with an equation to estimate the number of potential alien civilizations in the Milky Way.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'renowned.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsbig-name, celebrated, famed, noted, notorious, prominent, famous, star, visible, well-known
Antonymsanonymous, nameless, obscure, uncelebrated, unfamous, unknown, unsung
Related Wordsfabled, fabulous, legendary; infamous; distinguished, eminent, exceptional, great, illustrious, leading, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, preeminent, prestigious, remarkable, supereminent, superior; important, significant; acknowledged, recognized, respected; favorite, popular, preferred; estimable, honorable, reputable, respectable; formidable, redoubtable
Near Antonymsinsignificant, unimportant; inconspicuous; undistinguished, unexceptional; unpopular
Synonym Discussion of renowned
- a famous actress
- one of the most renowned figures in sports history
- the most celebrated beauty of her day
- the noted mystery writer
- a notorious gangster
- a distinguished scientist who won the Nobel Prize
- the country's most eminent writers
- illustrious war heroes
RENOWNED Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of renowned for English Language Learners
: known and admired by many people for some special quality or achievement
RENOWNED Defined for Kids
Definition of renowned for Students
- a renowned author
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up renowned? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).