Examples of renowned in a Sentence
- Poggio prospected for manuscripts across much of western Europe, visiting the renowned monasteries of Reichenau and Fulda, and wandering as far afield as Cologne, London, Paris, and Rome. —Fred Lerner, The Story of Libraries, 1998
- He was renowned for his appetite—in the mid-60's, his daily breakfast consisted of six steaks, four plates of pasta and a dozen eggs … —Maureen Dowd, New York Times, 24 June 1993
- … it was hard for me to realize that I was to be honoured by a degree from the oldest and most renowned university in America. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery, 1901
a restaurant renowned for its wine list
the renowned painter, sculptor, architect, and engineer, Leonardo da Vinci
Recent Examples of renowned from the Web
Ryanair is renowned for its efficient operations and bare-bones cost structure.
Led by five-time world player of the year Messi, the team is a world-renowned symbol of Catalan pride.
Founded in 1977 by Michael Drake, the East London haberdasher is renowned for their high-quality shirts and ties.
The team is renowned for putting the rib-shaking power of naval aviation on display.
But thankfully, world-renowned photographer Jeremy Kost was there to pluck some of the queens out of the convention center for one eleganza extravaganza photo shoot for Teen Vogue.
Benitez is renowned for his tactical approach, and his sides from Liverpool to Napoli thrived on tight defences, something which the current Reds vintage definitely don't offer.
Bokuden was renowned for his skill as a swordsman but also for his ability to use his cleverness to circumvent violence.
Academy had honored him for Paltrow’s ‘Shakespeare in Love’ ‘Workplace harassment in our industry is over,’ academy says Harvey Weinstein has been thrown out of the renowned arts organization that puts on the Oscars.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'renowned.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsbig-name, celebrated, famed, noted, notorious, prominent, famous, star, visible, well-known
Antonymsanonymous, nameless, obscure, uncelebrated, unfamous, unknown, unsung
Related Wordsfabled, fabulous, legendary; infamous; distinguished, eminent, exceptional, great, illustrious, leading, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, preeminent, prestigious, remarkable, supereminent, superior; important, significant; acknowledged, recognized, respected; favorite, popular, preferred; estimable, honorable, reputable, respectable; formidable, redoubtable
Near Antonymsinsignificant, unimportant; inconspicuous; undistinguished, unexceptional; unpopular
Synonym Discussion of renowned
- a famous actress
- one of the most renowned figures in sports history
- the most celebrated beauty of her day
- the noted mystery writer
- a notorious gangster
- a distinguished scientist who won the Nobel Prize
- the country's most eminent writers
- illustrious war heroes
RENOWNED Defined for English Language Learners
RENOWNED Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up renowned? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).