reinsure

verb
re·​in·​sure | \ ˌrē-ən-ˈshu̇r How to pronounce reinsure (audio) , ˌrē-ən-ˈshər \
reinsured; reinsuring; reinsures

Definition of reinsure

transitive verb

1 : to insure again by transferring to another insurance company all or a part of a liability assumed
2 : to insure again by assuming all or a part of the liability of an insurance company already covering a risk

intransitive verb

: to provide increased insurance

Keep scrolling for more

Other Words from reinsure

reinsurer noun

Examples of reinsure in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web MassMutual would reinsure 80% of American Equity’s existing business to Athene and retain the remaining 20%, according to the letter. Leslie Scism, WSJ, 1 Oct. 2020 Unlike in Europe, where governments have stepped in to reinsure transactions, the U.S. hasn’t supported the market. Julie Steinberg And Joe Wallace, WSJ, 22 Sep. 2020 All of the 20 or so who underwrite and reinsure K&R have syndicates in Lloyd’s, a marketplace for insurance in London, says Ms Shortland. The Economist, 26 May 2018 Gold was not there any more to reinsure, to protect and to preserve the international balance. Jack Heuer, A-LIST, 30 Mar. 2018 Lloyd’s was given permission to reinsure all the business done on the Continent back to London—a move some other European regulators deemed too risky. Julia-ambra Verlaine, WSJ, 6 July 2017

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'reinsure.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of reinsure

1702, in the meaning defined at transitive sense 1

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about reinsure

Time Traveler for reinsure

Time Traveler

The first known use of reinsure was in 1702

See more words from the same year

Statistics for reinsure

Cite this Entry

“Reinsure.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reinsure. Accessed 13 Jun. 2021.

Style: MLA
MLACheck Mark Icon ChicagoCheck Mark Icon APACheck Mark Icon Merriam-WebsterCheck Mark Icon

Keep scrolling for more

More Definitions for reinsure

reinsure

verb

English Language Learners Definition of reinsure

: to insure (something) again so that the insurance is shared by more than one company

reinsure

transitive verb
re·​in·​sure | \ ˌrē-ən-ˈshu̇r How to pronounce reinsure (audio) \

Legal Definition of reinsure

: to insure again : transfer or assume (liability) through reinsurance frequently reinsure part of their exposure— R. I. Mehr

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Name that Thing: Dog Breeds

Spell It

Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words?

TAKE THE QUIZ
 AlphaBear 2

Spell words. Make bears.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!