reinsure

verb

re·​in·​sure ˌrē-ən-ˈshu̇r How to pronounce reinsure (audio)
ˌrē-ən-ˈshər
reinsured; reinsuring; reinsures

transitive verb

1
: to insure again by transferring to another insurance company all or a part of a liability assumed
2
: to insure again by assuming all or a part of the liability of an insurance company already covering a risk

intransitive verb

: to provide increased insurance
reinsurer noun

Examples of reinsure in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web The International Group of P&I Clubs collectively insures approximately 90% of the world's ocean-going tonnage and member P&I clubs mutually reinsure each other by sharing claims above $10 million. Sinead Cruise, USA TODAY, 28 Mar. 2024 The idea was that since Pan American was reinsuring all of Ms. Clark's numerous captive clients, there was (at least in theory) a mixing of risk among all these client captives. Jay Adkisson, Forbes, 10 Feb. 2024 Another thing: Is there a way to reinsure some of these costs? Jenna Carlesso, Hartford Courant, 11 Oct. 2022 That year, Argentina received the largest loan in IMF history—to reinsure payment of existing debt. Rohan Montgomery, The New Republic, 26 June 2022 Say, the PoolRe risk pool had three captives, A, B, and C, which respectively reinsure 50%, 30%, and 20% of the total stop-loss risk, because A's insureds pay 50% of the premiums to PoolRe for the stop-loss coverage, B's pay 30%, and C's pay 20%. Jay Adkisson, Forbes, 13 May 2022 German insurer Allianz SE said its U.S. life insurer had reached an agreement to reinsure liabilities of $35 billion, in one of the largest transactions of its kind. Julie Steinberg, WSJ, 3 Dec. 2021 MassMutual would reinsure 80% of American Equity’s existing business to Athene and retain the remaining 20%, according to the letter. Leslie Scism, WSJ, 1 Oct. 2020 Unlike in Europe, where governments have stepped in to reinsure transactions, the U.S. hasn’t supported the market. Julie Steinberg and Joe Wallace, WSJ, 22 Sep. 2020

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'reinsure.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

First Known Use

1702, in the meaning defined at transitive sense 1

Time Traveler
The first known use of reinsure was in 1702

Dictionary Entries Near reinsure

Cite this Entry

“Reinsure.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reinsure. Accessed 18 Jul. 2024.

Legal Definition

reinsure

transitive verb
re·​in·​sure ˌrē-ən-ˈshu̇r How to pronounce reinsure (audio)
: to insure again : transfer or assume (liability) through reinsurance
frequently reinsure part of their exposureR. I. Mehr
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!