Examples of phenomenal in a Sentence
- The catch soared year after year, reaching a peak of 1.6 billion pounds in 1956. But not even the fish's phenomenal fecundity could sustain them under this industrial onslaught. —Bruce Franklin, Mother Jones, March & April 2006
- The region's two main communities are Camden, with its very old money and … five-star restaurants and phenomenal B&Bs, and Rockland, a serious old fishing town that hosts the Festival every summer in historic Harbor Park, right along the water. —David Foster Wallace, Gourmet, August 2004
- Physical prowess aside, the concentration required on the beam is phenomenal. —Jack McCallum, Sports Illustrated, 18 Oct. 2000
- Given his phenomenal poll numbers in a race he has not yet officially entered … —Julia Reed, Vogue, February 1999
the phenomenal growth that the suburb has experienced over the last decade
the phenomenal ability to remember the names of thousands of people
Recent Examples of phenomenal from the Web
Right-hander Corbin Burnes has come back to earth a bit since his phenomenal open to the season but still has put up solid numbers with Biloxi with a 3-3 record, 2.10 ERA, WHIP of 0.92 and 67 strikeouts in 64 1/3 innings.
The Tarahumara people have earned international renown for their phenomenal marathon endurance.
Engaging in a fun hypothetical, EC Henry looks at fairly obvious clues within the credits that point at the phenomenal nature of the planet Voyager appears to be exploring.
Travelers who take advantage of this deal also enjoy some phenomenal perks: exclusive hotel rates, free tours, dining and shopping discounts, and more.
So really, the guy sweeping the floor might have a Ph.D. The cross section of talents is just phenomenal.
Being outdoors has phenomenal benefits—breathing fresh air, turning off your screen, and relaxing.
The ‘oohs’ and ‘ahs’ and the cheers that Kohl gets is phenomenal.
The car has phenomenal front-end grip through corners, though, with all the aerodynamics.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'phenomenal.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsaberrant, aberrated, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, especial, exceeding, extraordinaire, extraordinary, freak, odd, peculiar, exceptional, preternatural, rare, singular, uncommon, uncustomary, unique, unusual, unwonted
Antonymscommon, customary, normal, ordinary, typical, unexceptional, unextraordinary, usual
Related Wordsconspicuous, notable, noticeable, outstanding, prominent, remarkable, salient, striking; bizarre, deviant, eccentric, freakish, monstrous, oddball, outlandish, quaint, strange, weird; incomprehensible, inconceivable, incredible, unimaginable, unthinkable
Near Antonymseveryday, familiar, frequent
Synonym Discussion of phenomenal
- material values
- the physical benefits of exercise
- artists have portrayed angels as corporeal beings
- scientists concerned with the phenomenal world
- the earth's rotation is not sensible to us
- no objective evidence of damage
PHENOMENAL Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of phenomenal for English Language Learners
: very good or great : unusual in a way that is very impressive
PHENOMENAL Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up phenomenal? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).