Definition of notion
- They had different notions of right and wrong.
- arriving at the notion of law
- —Irving Babbitt
- the notion of original sin
- He had a notion to try skydiving.
- found the thread she wanted among the shop's notions
He has some pretty strange notions.
She had a vague notion about what happened.
The study disproves any notion that dolphins are not intelligent.
She had a notion to try skydiving.
a sewing shop that sells fabrics, books, tools, and notions
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'notion.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: 1531See Words from the same year
What made you want to look up notion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
an inn where caravans rest at night
Get Word of the Day daily email!