:words or language having no meaning or conveying no intelligible ideas
- "And the mome raths outgrabe" is pure nonsense.
:language, conduct, or an idea that is absurd or contrary to good sense
- To regard the struggle for existence as tragic, however, is logical nonsense.
- —O. B. Hardison Jr.
:an instance of absurd action
- Today's teenagers are … sharp observers of the nonsenses of adult life and society …
- —Bernard Trafford
:things of no importance or value :trifles
- the raincoats are classic, without any nonsense
- —New Yorker
:affected or impudent conduct
- took no nonsense from subordinates
- The teacher tolerated no nonsense in her classroom.
:genetic information consisting of one or more codons that do not code for any amino acid and usually cause termination of the molecular chain in protein synthesis (see synthesis 1)